Call for Papers (with updates)
The 10th International Symposium on Human Capital and Labor Markets
Celebrating Release of the China Human Capital Report 2018
The China Center for Human Capital and Labor Market Research (CHLR)
Central University of Finance and Economics
December 7-9, 2018
Our tenth anniversary conference will mark the release of the tenth annual China Human Capital Report-2018. The conference will feature distinguished keynote speeches, plenary and parallel sessions on critical topics related to human capital and labor markets on December 8-9, preceded by a reception for all attendees on December 7. We are grateful to Elsevier for their generous contribution in support of the conference.
·Benjamin F. Jones the Gordon and Llura Family Professor of Entrepreneurship, Northwestern University
Specially Invited Discussants for the China Human Capital Report (By Alphabetical Order)
· Zhuo Adam Chen Associate Professor of Health Policy & Management, University of Georgia
· Yongmiao Hong Ernest S. Liu Professor of Economics and International Studies,
Professor of Statistics, Cornell University (To be confirmed)
· Gordon Liu BOYA Professor of Economics &
Director of China Center for Health Economics Research, Peking University
· Xianchun Xu Professor, Tsinghua University
(Former Deputy Director of National Bureau of Statistics, to be confirmed)
Invited Plenary Session Speakers (By Alphabetical Order)
· Suqin Ge Associate Professor of Economics, Virginia Tech
· Gary Jefferson Carl Marks Professor of International Trade and Finance, Brandeis University
· Jong-Wha Lee Professor of economics &
Director of the Asiatic Research Institute at Korea University
· Mary O’Mahony Professor of Applied Economics, King’s College London
· Scott Rozelle Helen F. Farnsworth Senior Fellow &
Co-director of the Rural Education Action Program, Stanford University
· Le Wang Chong K. Liew Chair and Professor, University of Oklahoma
Elsevier Best Paper Award for Junior Researcher
· Submissions by junior researchers (exclusively, no senior researchers coauthored) presented at the conference will be considered for the “Elsevier Best Paper Award for Junior Researcher”.
· The awardee (and any junior coauthors) will receive $1000. This award is dedicated to encourage the junior faculties and his/her junior coauthors. Junior researchers are defined as those whose PhDs was awarded within the 5 years preceding the Conferences.
We invite submission of individual papers. Topics dealing with broad areas of human capital and labor markets are all welcome.
·Submit abstract (400-500 words) no later than October 15, 2018 at the following website:
· Notification of decision will be announced by November 1.
· Each session consists of 4 papers and discussants.
·All papers accepted for presentation must be submitted to the conference by November 30 so that discussants have enough time to prepare comments.
Accommodation and Travel Subsidy
· Presenters (one presenter per paper) will be provided with hotel accommodation of three nights and meals during the conference (December 7-9).
· Junior faculty (within 5 years of receiving PhD and certified by their institution) and PhD candidates (i.e., have passed comprehensive examinations and certified by their office of graduate studies) may apply for international travel subsidy for one half of the airfare up to US$600, subject to budgetary limitations.
· The application for travel subsidy must be submitted via the CHLR website, http://humancapital.cufe.edu.cn/, no later than October 20.
· The decision on the travel subsidy will be announced by November 1.
China Economic Review Special Issue
· All submissions accepted for the conference will be eligible for submission to a Special Issue of China Economic Review.
Belton Fleisher (Co-Chair) Professor Emeritus, Ohio State University and CHLR
Haizheng Li (Co-Chair) Professor, Georgia Institute of Technology and CHLR
Nina Yin (Coordinator) Assistant Professor, CHLR
Barbara Fraumeni Professor Emerita, University of Southern Maine and CHLR
Carsten Holz Professor, Hong Kong University of Science and Technology and CHLR
Zhiqiang Liu Associate Professor, SUNY at Buffalo and CHLR
Ning Jia Assistant Professor (Ph.D., University of Notre Dame), CHLR
Shan Li Assistant Professor, (Ph.D., George Washington University), CHLR
Sophie Wang Assistant Professor (Ph.D., Simon Fraser University), CHLR
Fanzheng Yang Assistant Professor (Ph.D., Iowa State University, CHLR